An instrument for chlorophyll and photosynthetic activity measurement in the laboratory
- Waterway analysis and assessment
- General environmental management
- Intake monitoring
- Chemical analysis
- Toxicity testing
- Waste detection
- Dam monitoring
- Limnological work
- Research and education
The fluorescence of algae via excitation with visible light mainly depends on chlorophyll-a, a pigment widespread in the plant world. The presence of other pigments is typical for different algae classes. The interaction of these different pigment systems with chlorophyll-a results in a special excitation spectrum for taxonomic algae classes.
The special patterns of algal fluorescence – so-called fingerprints – are used in bbe fluorometers for the qualification of different algae classes. The light sources for the excitation are LEDs with selected wavelengths. The fingerprints of four algae classes and yellow substances are pre-defined in the instrument. However, special user-specific fingerprints can also be defined. The determination of algal activity (Genty parameter) is performed using additional background light.
- Simultaneous determination of chlorophyll concentrations, photosynthetic activity of chlorophyll, and transmission
- The detection of different algae classes via excitation using different colored LEDs; calculation of biomass on green algae, blue-green algae, brown algae (diatoms and dinoflagellates), and cryptophytes
- Direct measurement without sample preparation via filtration, dilution or stirring, etc.
- Results of photosynthetic activity of the chlorophyll using different excitation patterns; the common fluorescence signals are used via the Genty parameter method
- Yellow substances (CDOM) measurement to correct the calculation of total chlorophyll
- Integrated stirrer unit – no problems with sedimentation during long-term measurements
Early warning system for detection of cyanotoxins, flavors, and odorous substances in raw water
NEW! Phycocianin measurements – The indicator for cyanotoxins as well as flavors and odorous substances
The bbe PhycoLabAnalyser* (PhycoLA) offers the simultaneous determination of chlorophyll concentrations, transmission, and – as an option – the photosynthetic activity of microalgae in a 25 ml glass cuvette. Additionally, the PhycoLA measures the amount of unbound phycocyanin (free PC) which reflects the release of blue-green algae contents like toxins as well as flavors and odorous substances.
The chlorophyll and phycocyanin content is excited by colored LEDs and allocated to the different algal classes. The PhycoLabAnalyser enables direct measurement without sample preparation by filtration or solvent. The fluorescence signals f0, f, and fm are used to calculate the photosynthetic activity using the Genty parameter method. A yellow substances (CDOM) correction is also used to correctly calculate the total chlorophyll content. The device is virtually maintenance-free and very simple to operate thus saving both time and money.
- Quick, simple chlorophyll measurement with algal class differentiation
- Phycocianin measurements – indicator for cyanotoxins as well as flavours and odorous substances
- Turbidity compensation up to 200 FTU
- Easy to use
- Direct measurement without preparation
- Laptop included
- Integrated stirrer
- Splash-water proof
- PC operation with bbe software
- Simple data export
- Rugged transport case
- Monitoring and assessment of water quality
- Reservoir monitoring
- Process trackingin waterwork
- Environmental and hygiene monitoring
- Chemical assessment
- Toxicity tests
- Analysis of contaminated sites
- Limnological work
- Research and teaching
- Laboratory tests
Databased bbe++ Software
The bbe software supplied with the instrument facilitates detailed data analysis. All measurement data can be displayed numerically or graphically. Sections of data measurements can be recorded and printed using the zoom function. Data can also be exported to a spreadsheet program (e.g Excel). All settings and calibrations are performed by the software.